December 13, 2012

Balm :: Wooden Utensils and the Care there of

Wooden kitchen utensils are greatly appreciated in my home, second only to my beloved cast iron... and like my cast iron, these wooden tools need some minor attention for their care as well.

Do you see that pretty one, the third from the end, its from Romania...

As you can see some of my utensils are in fairly good condition, while others... not so much. This is partly due to age and yes, partly do to neglect. Let me ask you - do you allow your wooden utensils sit in water to soak? You know throw them in the sink of water to get to later. Do you run them through the dish washer? Actually both processes can cause harm to our wooden tools, excessive contact with water can cause that 'fuzzy' feeling to the wood. Which is caused from water being absorbed into the wood, the grain then swelling and there you have it... wood fuzz!


What to do about it? If you can give your wooden utensils attention before they are cracked, then things should be alright... if the tool is cracked, well I am not sure what you can do about it. I have one like that and no amount of sanding is fixing my problem...

As with many things, prevention is key... so I would suggest every couple of months rubbing your wooden utensils with steel wool or green scrub pad, and coating them with some natural wood creme. What is natural wood creme you ask? It's also called wood polish, wood shiner, wood butter, wood oil... and the list goes on and on. I have found everything from don't use vegetable based oils because they can go rancid, to use vegetable based oils because they don't have a petroleum base or by product.

I chose to make my own version of a KA-Zillion recipes and ideas on the subject... with out mineral oil, because I reside in the shy away from petroleum based products as much as possible camp.


The Recipe: at least this is what I decided to do and I was happy with my results.

  • 2/3 cup organic olive oil, warmed {about}
  • 6 to 8 T of local, clean bees wax, shaved {about}
  • 3 drops cinnamon oil, and a few drops of lemon juice from an organic lemon. In the next batch I will use about 4 to 6 drops of lemon oil.

In a double boiler, that is used only for this purpose - I make shift one, out of an old pan and different heat tolerant bowls. Heat the first two ingredients until the bees wax is melted. Pour this into your small glass containers and then add your essential oils. I chose these two oils because of their anti 'ick' properties... but please do your own research and use what is best for you.

Let the creme sit until cooled and then check your consistency, if it is too hard... reheat and add more oil. If it is too soft for your liking... reheat and add a little more wax. I just played with it until I had achieved the creme texture I was after.

How to Use: rub a small amount of wood creme into the wood of your utensil until fully absorbed or leave a semi-layer on your utensils over night and wipe thoroughly the next morning. This should be done every couple of months, so as long as you do not continue to mistreat your beloved wooded utensil.  :-)

~ Blessings & Enjoy!

Shared With: Barn Hop #93

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this!!! My spoons always tend to break. I believe now it's because I have never cared for them properly. That or it's the fact that they're cheap Walmart spoons ;) None the less, I'm whipping some up tonight and oiling my spooons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This way is the best!! I love it:D

    ReplyDelete