January 22, 2013

{Natural Wellness} Unit Four: bread

I am behind in sharing my Natural Wellness class by two units, so even though I just posted on a unit last week I still have another unit that I have completed to share with you. However, I will try to space them a little better following this unit on bread.

Bread is near and dear to my heart because... I love making bread... I love everything about it. From the time it takes to knead each loaf, and remembering to say the Avinu Prayer while doing so, to waiting until that golden loaf is slightly cooled... just enough to allow the first warm slice of fresh bread to be removed from it's end.

Yes, I love baking bread. I even love making bread for other people... there is something special about fresh, wholesome bread made with love and sharing it with those around you.

But He answered, “It is written, “‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of Elohim.’” ~ Matthew 4:4

Bread is also an interesting subject to study, and I can see why confusion about how to consume and make bread...  runs a-rye... {smile} I couldn't help it... it was right there. Anyway there is as much debate and opinion on the 'whys' and the 'why nots' of bread and wheat as there are on the to drink raw milk or not to drink raw milk platform.

It's Crazy.

I am finding that there is still much for me to learn... however I do believe that we can sometimes make things more difficult than they need to be and it's looking like bread making is no exception.


In This Unit: we covered the ins and outs of bread, the problems of wheat and gluten, and why we even have some of these issues today. This unit also covered the history of commercial yeast and the health benefits of eating sourdough or using lacto fermentation and soaking to increase the health benefits of yours grains. But before we come to any consensus on should you or should you not soak, sour or even consume grains with gluten, I think it is important to look at some other factors that contribute to our physical wellness and shed some light on the possible reasons why we are in the state we are in.

First - I would recommend that you watch Genetic Roulette, and pay close attention to the auto immune responses our bodies have when consuming genetically modified organisms... because I believe this plays a huge part in why our systems are reacting to the various wheat modification/hybridization varieties and their gluten content.

Second - I would recommend studying the consumption of unclean foods, as in the foods listed in Leviticus 11 of the Scriptures and the effects they have on our systems in general. A good place to start would be with the Scriptures and the book What the Bible Says About Healthy Living by Rex Russell. M.D.

Finally, in my opinion, making changes in the area of bread or the eating of grain, without taking a serious look at all the other harmful foods we consume, would be mute. Eating a diet that is heavily processed and/or coated with pesticides isn't nourishing your body and really negates the benefits of sourdough or grain soaking. I am just saying that in the long run, it does no good to have new tires put on if the engine is bad anyway. We really need to look at this with a whole picture in mind.


Some Facts On Yeast: I think one of the great many resources out there on bread would be The Vintage Remedies Guide To Bread by Jessie Hawkins... there is much to learn about our modern yeast and its ancient counterparts. Along with the health benefits from bread.

Did you know?
  • That commercial yeast was carefully bred to leaven dough faster, to withstand various temperatures and environmental changes, around the time of the Industrial Revolution. From my research and reading, I would say it is not really the healthiest way to go.
  • Baker's yeast is not one of the natural yeasts used in baking and Nutritional Yeast, which is often considered a 'whole' food... really isn't, its often grown on molasses and has minor nutritional value. The molasses is the important part because non organic molasses is ridden with chemicals from commercial growing and processing, which then can be transferred.
  • Sourdough, or our little lactobacilli friends, takes about twelve hours to fully develop the dough and during that time they really do a number on the chemical make up of our bread... in a very good way.
  • Some sourdough cultures live to be hundreds of years old, now that is cool!
  • That commercial sourdough is not truly a naturally leaven bread, many bakers know the appealing taste of sourdough and thus recreate the taste verses the actual bread. 

This week's project: was to create a sourdough starter and bake something sourdough, which we do here pretty often... since I already had my starter I decided to make a sourdough challah loaf for Shabbat. Which turned out yummy!

However, for the sake of time, I think I will just share some wonderful links to encourage you to start on your own personal sourdough journey... which truly is the better way to eat bread. And the family consensus in our home is... well we are working towards eating only naturally leavened breads, and one day... learning to be free of all commercial leavening products.

Suggested Resources: for furthering your sourdough adventures...


~ Blessings!

Next Unit: Herbal Home Use

*Linking doesn't mean agreeing with all view points, and please note that my posts are editorial in nature and not meant to be taken as a way to treat or diagnose illness. Please practice personal health safety. I am currently taking a self paced course from Vintage Remedies called Introduction to Natural Wellness by Jessie Hawkins, please feel free to head over there if you are interested. ~ Blessings!

1 comment:

  1. I love baking bread. Baking challah is probably my favorite Shabbat tradition. Even now as I write this I have a batch of sour dough in the fridge and my girlies are munching on some bread I baked last night :o)

    ReplyDelete