{Natural Wellness} Unit's 5 & 6

Yes - I am posting two units together... unit five is Herbal Home Use and unit six is Herbology, both of which were great to complete and gave me the motivation I needed to finish some 'going to get around to it' tasks.

In the Units: small snipets of unit coverage.
  • Pharmacology verses phytotherapy - one uses drugs, surgery and other forms of invasive means to treat a disease. The other uses herbs, foods and supplements to support body systems, right imbalances and remove triggers that effect proper bodily functions. Both may include case history, lab tests, and physical exams... however an herbalist is not licensed to practice medicine and therefore cannot diagnose, treat, or prescribe... outside of their own home. {ref pg 83. Natural Wellness/Hawkins}
  • Diagnostic Skills, Family Health History, Records of Illness, and Symptomology. Symptomology refers to the process of identifying an illness by it's symptoms.
  • Triggers...Toxins, Irritation, Inflammation, Ulceration, and applications or advisement's of Digestive Flushes and Juice Fasting... 
  • Understanding terms such as: tannins, alkaloids, sugars and starches, resins, saponins, oleoresins, mucilages, glycosides and flavonoids.
  • Safety - "the complexity of each herb is often undervalued, and the potential for individual contraindications is vast." {ref pg. 103 Natural Wellness/Hawkins}
  • Study of Herbal Monographs/Herbal pofiles.

The Projects: 
  • Build a natural medicine chest and complete a case study.


My natural medicine chest is more like a three shelved apothecary in our kitchen pantry, for which I am very thankful. Above is a quick photo of my recent Frontier Co-op order... which included herbs like Hibiscus, Red Raspberry leaf, Star Anise, and Hawthorn leaf. This was a new opportunity for our family, because most of my bulk herb purchase comes from my food co-op, and the savings were amazing. Take the Star Anise for example - normally it sells for 24.90 a pound, and through our co-op I was able to purchase it for 13.07! This was much cheaper than my food buying club.

I also try to grow as many herbs as I can and dry them throughout the growing season, especially herbs like plantain and comfrey. Then, in the fall and winter, I can make infused oils and herbal extracts while I am in kitchen canning or dehydrating our crops.

We also made a mobile natural wellness kit, which I hope to finish this week, and planned our next bulk herb order... if the budget allows for it next month. 

Next Unit: Aromatherapy

*please note that my posts are editorial in nature and are not meant to be taken as a way to treat or diagnose illness. Please practice personal health safety. I am currently taking a self paced course from Vintage Remedies called Introduction to Natural Wellness by Jessie Hawkins, please feel free to head over there if you are interested. ~ Blessings!

No comments