Kamut Scones w/ Peanut Butter Chips

I love scones. I think they are perfect for breakfast, for afternoon tea or for a snack when ever the mood strikes me. And the mood struck me. My kitchen creativity produced theses Kamut scones with peanut butter chips tossed in...
"Scones are sweet, rich biscuits that are usually made with cream as well as butter. Eggs add flavor, rich color, and a slightly cakey texture, but delicious flaky scones can also be produced by omitting the egg in and increasing the cream..."  ~ page 791, Joy of Cooking


"Biscuits rise in the oven to become light and flaky not only from baking powder but also from the tiny flake shaped pieces of butter or fat in the dough." ~ pg 787, Joy of Cooking


These {pieces of fat} melt in the oven, leaving pockets of air that fill with steam from the moisture in the dough as it bakes. Heavy cream [in cream scones] provides both the fat and the liquid in the simplest of all scone recipes. ~ pg. 791, Joy of Cooking


The recipe:

Kamut Scones w/Peanut Butter Chips

2 cups kamut flour
1/3 cup sugar - I used slightly less
1 T baking powder
1/2 t real salt
6 T raw, butter
1 egg
1/2 cup raw, heavy cream

Honestly, I threw all of the above ingredients into a large bowl and kneaded it with my hands until pliable... then I added:

1/2 cup of organic peanut butter chips

Shaped the dough into a one and a half inch thick circle, then cut them like a pizza... into eight triangle pieces, placing them on the baking stone and brushing them with more raw cream and adding a pinch of sugar to their tops. Popped them into a heated oven of 350 degrees, and baked them for about twenty minutes, until done.

*adapted from the classic currant scone recipe on page 791, from the Joy of Cooking cookbook.

Interested in using Kamut? I am currently in the process of replacing all of my soft wheat needs with Kamut grain and flours.

By the way, these babies were tasty... in fact it's about time for tea.

~ Blessings!

No comments