Infusions :: a winters past time.

This time of year, winter that is, is when I like to access and work on my pantry. This includes everything from eating to the last package in the freezer, to assessing the food storage and home apothecary. Making garden plans, family plans and bulk herb & essential oil preparations...

Like these herb infused oils for the upcoming salve making season.



Making the Herb Infused Oils:
  • This method {pictured above} was done by simply packing my mason jar semi tightly with the herbs... in this case one jar was calendula and two jars were plantain. I prefer using dried herbs as I seem to have trouble with my oil becoming rancid when my herbs are not completely dry.
  • Then I cover my herbs with high a quality olive oil, cover with a lid, label with name and date and sit them in the window sill. This works the best for me during sunny, warm fall days...
  • Shake the jars every day, and monitor for concerns... like slime. Do this for about six to eight weeks. 
  • After the infusion time has taken place, strain the herbs from your oil and place the oil in a clean mason jar, again be sure to label with name and date. Trust me... always label and date.
  • Store in semi cool dark place until ready for use... I prefer to turn around my oils quickly with salves and things because I don't want to waste my efforts on rancidity. 

Other Infused Methods:
  • You could also infuse your oils in a crock pot, on the stove or in the oven. I have done the crock pot method and liked it, but I have not tried the other methods... either way, find a method that works for you and enjoy it.

Now that the snow drifts are piled higher, and the winds are blowing cold... I really enjoy creating with my herbal oils... it's like opening a jar of Yah's promise of the harvest.

"While the earth remains, seed time and harvest, cold and heat, winter and summer, and day and night shall not cease."
~ Genesis 8:22 ~

~ Blessings!

Definitions to Know: Carrier Oil ~ refers to an oil or wax that an essential oil is mixed with. The carrier oil 'delivers' the essential oil and offers dilution so the effects of the essential oil can be spread over a larger area when applied.

No comments