Rustic Irish American Soda Bread

So - this has taken me forever to share.

It's been one of those things that I have been wanting to post for sometime, but have never remembered to take the photo's for... until now. It's our version of Irish American Soda Bread and I call it rustic, because... well, that is usually how most of my baking is done.

It drives my daughter crazy that I rarely follow every step in a recipe and that I will often swap out ingredients for whatever I have on hand that is semi similar. It's how I roll ~ hope you like it!


"The American idea of Irish soda bread looks like a giant golden brown scone studded with raisins and caraway seeds. It's richer, sweeter, and more cake like than authentic Irish soda bread, which we are assured never made the acquaintance of a raisin or a caraway seed either." ~ Joy of Cooking, pg 772



The Recipe: adapted from The Joy of Cooking's Irish American Soda Bread recipe, pg772
 
  • 1 2/3 cup of freshly ground whole wheat flour
  • 2 T sucanat
  • 1 t baking powder
  • 1/2 t baking soda
  • 1/2 t real salt
  • 2 t caraway seeds
  • 1 large, organic egg
  • 2/3 cup of raw milk kefir
  • 4 T of melted butter

Throw all the ingredients into a medium bowl and mix well. Of course you need to preheat your oven to 350 and oil your pan. For this recipe I use a small round stone ware pan. Place the mixture in a semi round shape in the center of the pan and bake for about 45 to 50 minutes, until golden brown. Remove and cool out of pan completely. Serve with butter or home made cranberry sauce.


And I never add raisins to my soda bread, but I do add the caraway seeds. It comes out kinda scone-ish and crumbly... but ever so tasty. Personally I think this bread makes a wonderful addition to afternoon tea or along side a cool glass of raw milk.

~ Blessings!

No comments