{Family Herbalist} condensed update thru unit fourteen

Yes it has been a while since I have shared an update on my learning journey with Vintage Remedies, presently I am entering unit fifteen... so I figured I better update now instead of waiting for another three months when I am elbow deep in Materia Medica. :)

Below are the unit titles and a few bullet points from each section, this is for highlighting purposes only and by no means covers the amount of subject matter within each unit.

Unit 9 & 10: Modern Childhood Epidemics & Pharmacognosy and Herbal Medicine
  • 1 in 3 American children will have run into one of these modern childhood epidemics, ADHD, Autism, Allergies, and Asthma. Recommended Reading - Healing the New Childhood Epidemics by Kenneth Bock M.D.
  • "Pharmacognosy is defined as the formal name for the study of the medicinal properties in herbs" (pg 111 - Understanding Holistic Health 2E - Jessie Hawkins) 
  • Many things effect our bodies ability to absorb herbal remedies, things such as the hydrochloric acid levels in our stomach, whether our bowels have moved or not, the strength of our gut flora and the type of diet we eat and when we have eaten. This is just the tip of the holistic ice berg when learning to use herbal remedies...
Unit 11 & 12: Body Systems & Herbal Home Use
  • Simply put - we live and die on a cellular level. This is something that is extremely important to understand when looking and studying each body system and its proper function.
  • ENS - the enteric nervous system - this blew me away "Half of the body's nerve cells are in the gut... and every class of neurotransmitter that can be found in the brain can also be found in the ENS in equal proportions." (pg 73 - Understanding Holistic Health 2E - Jessie Hawkins)
  • The Family Herbalist - in a unique position in serving the family, understanding the scope of our knowledge and ability, using diagnostic skills and working with healthcare providers.
 Unit 13 & 14: Herbal Preparations part 1 & Childhood Illnesses
  • One key understanding I took away from the herbal preparation unit was that the use of herbal medicine has many avenues in which to use botanicals. And sometimes the method in which we use our remedy has a great deal to do with availability and health concern.
  • When covering the Childhood Illness unit, realizing that prevention is just as important as treatment, but sometimes common childhood illnesses are just that... common and there really is not a prevention... such as bumps and scrapes. 
  • Below: a photo of my herbal syrup project for one of my units...


 Rosehip Syrup: made March of 2014
  • 75 grams of dried, organic, rosehip's from a reliable source
  • 2 cups of distilled water
  • 1/2 cup honey

Bring the rosehip's and water to a boil in a non reactive pan, for thirty minutes, making a decoction. Strain and add the herbal liquid (mine equaled to 1/3 cup) to the 1/2 cup honey and return to simmer for ten minutes. Allow to cool and bottle. Store in the refrigerator. We used ours on pancakes and it was absolutely wonderful!

Check out Jessie's Elderberry Syrup

So I think that covers the units that I have completed so far, and please remember I am just sharing tiny pieces of the meat I have learned, and I know my posts do not do this program justice. Also I was asked why I chose Vintage Remedies over another education provider.. and honestly the deciding factor outside of cost/content, was that they are Christian based. This is very important to me and my family and we have not regretted our decision.

~ Blessings!

*Please note that my posts are editorial in nature and are not meant to treat or diagnose any illness. Please practice personal health safety. I am currently enrolled in the course from Vintage Remedies called Family Herbalist by Jessie Hawkins, so please feel free to head over there if you are interested.

No comments