June 29, 2015

Fulling Wool by Hand :: off grid

Felted wool ~ technically this process is fulling and not felting – or rather - its creating a felt fabric out of your knitted creation - but I am not being technical ~ is one of those personal loves of my heart because I enjoy that it is more of an art and not always a science. And every time I felt a project this eagerness wells up inside of me and I can not wait to see how it will really turn out... I love that this technique is so artzy in its nature.

Basically the only control I have is in the created item and the felting process - via the method in/the fiber in which you use... 


In the past I have fulled items in the washer, a semi quick process that yields great results. But now a days... my process is to be man powered and without electricity. It's about twenty five minutes to the nearest laundry mat and the cost of gas and washer use are not conducive to our budget or current living method. So fulling by hand is my option. 

Hot water and agitation are really all I needed along with some time. And behold... I had all three!

My Simple but Effective Fulling Method for Off Grid Felted Creations

 aka ~ Creative Weight Loss Activities

Step One: In a large pot, heat your water... your water needs to be one the quiet warm side, however not so hot that you can not handle your creations.

Here I have some luxury – we are set up to use an inline water heater to heat our water for dishes and cooking, we also have one for showers too! Yes – some things just make other things better all the way around. Which means I have hot water at the flip of a switch... at a nice toasty temp, so I didn't have to heat water on a stove.


Step Two: Toss in your item and agitate – here I used my laundry plunger to agitate the wool item. But before I began this process I did make sure my water pot and plunger worked well together. Thus creating a compact power washer...


The entire process took me about 40 to 45 minutes of actual plunging... stopping every so often to check the water temp. Adding more hot water as needed to keep the water at a nice warm temperature. Also I added a small squirt of organic dish liquid in the beginning to help soften the fiber, but I did not add it each time I reheated the water.

Step Three: After I achieved my desired felted look, I shaped my item and set them out to dry. 


And that was about it. However, I would suggest that you find a place to plunge that is comfortable for your height... if you do not, your back will scream at you later.

~ Blessings!

Shared With: Strangers and Pilgrims Art of Homemaking Mondays # 59

No comments:

Post a Comment