January 19, 2016

Dehydrated Eggs, Kefir Grains and Tomato Flakes :: how to

In an attempt to update and 'clean' house around here, I am condensing three posts into this one, simply for my brains sake. I hope you don't mind... you see my blog style is a bit different than when I first began and these three post topics were an import from one of my early blogs. 

First was my lovely experiment of dehydrating my own eggs, this was driven from the "what do I do with all these eggs" when we first had chickens. I wanted a way to preserve them without a freezer.

So here it is...


DIY Dehydrated Eggs:
"Powdered eggs can be a great thing to have on hand, however they can be expensive too, and the expense was not something I wanted to embrace. So I did a little research and with some work I was able to make my own 'powdered eggs'. right here at home."
First I would recommend watching this short video, and you will see how making your own powder eggs is E.A.S.Y.  The video shows you how to make them in an oven, but mine were made using a food dehydrator. Either way seemed to work. Yes, I did do them both ways.

Here's How:
  1. Take 6 fresh chicken eggs and scramble them in a cast iron pan, using no oil or seasoning. Just the eggs. 
  2. Then let the eggs cool on a towel, until completely cool.
  3.  When the eggs are completely cool, spread them evenly over your drying surface.
  4. Set your dehydrator to 135 degrees and dry the eggs for seven to nine hours.
  5. When finished, the eggs should hard, and snap when broken... let them completely cool again before moving unto the grinding process.
To Grind: I put about one cup of dried eggs into my blender at a time, blending for roughly a minute, then sifting the large chunks out and placing the egg powder in a separate bowl. Then I would run the large chunks through the blender again until they were fine and powdery in consistency. After which I sealed them in a glass jar with an oxygen absorber, where they should keep just fine for about 3 years.  Update: I did keep mine in a jar for three years, to test this... and yes, they were just fine, for their purpose.

To Use/To Reconstitute: Take 1T egg powder and mix with 2 T Water.

From what I have read this mixture should make approximately one egg. My next project will be to actually use these, to see how they work and taste...

Update: I did use these in baking and they seem to work fine, however powdered eggs to scrambled hot on a plate, the word that came to mind was interesting. But in a survival or camping position I think this is workable. 


Kefir Grains:

Kefir {pronounced keh-feer, kuh-feer, or kay-fir, depending on geographical location} is a cultured milk drink with T.O.N.'s of health benefits, its produced by 'grains' made from yeast, bacteria, sugar and various proteins. Kefir grains look similar to cauliflower tops and having a slightly firm gel feeling.

How I Make Kefir:
  • Take a 1 quart mason jar and fill it with whole milk... raw if you have it.
  • Add your kefir grains to the jar of milk... if you are reusing your grains, rinse them once in a while to help remove the Co2 'jackets' they form. Remember to rinse them with non-chlorinated water only, as the chlorine can harm your little buddies. 
  • Cover the jar with a lid and leave on the counter overnight, in the morning you will have a wonderful cultured milk beverage. Repeat the process, place newly made kefir in the fridge and serve cold... I prefer in a smoothie.

If my kefir grains produce more than I can use, which is bound to happen, I simply place the grains in a fresh jar of milk and store them in the fridge. This will slow down the fermentation process while keeping your grains 'live' until you are ready for them to produce again.

Your grains may be sluggish for a day or two when coming out of the fridge, but they should return to normal activity soon. Visit FAQ's about Kefir Grains for more information. Note: The summer's heat will effect the rate of your kefir production, often speeding up the process considerably.


How To Use Kefir:

Besides Smoothies, I have made Kefir cheese, Frozen 'Kefir' pops and ice cream. I also use kefir like I would buttermilk, but cooking with it kills most of the benefits.

Do you need more recipes? Check out Kefir Recipes!


Tomato Flakes:

What to do with all those extra tomatoes at the end of the season? I know! Dehydrate them and grind them into tomato flakes/powder. Then place them into a mason jar with a new lid, add my oxygen absorber and place the jar in line on the pantry shelf. Now they are ready to use anytime, this week or next month. 

This link gives you the jist of how to use your dehydrated tomatoes, thankfully I will not be spending that kind of money for tomato powder when I can make mine right here, at home

~ Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment