DIY - Homemade Coffee Filters & Simple Vanilla Syrup

For a season I worked as a Barista in a small coffee shop out west... and trust me when I say - I really really enjoyed that job. There is actually a lot to learn about coffee and the proper brewing there of. I remember having to watch a video called Coffee 101, which was very similar to this style. And I had to obtain multiple hours of hands on training before I was allowed to fly solo. I am still so thankful for the instruction, readers you do not want to be the girl to mess up a Monday morning coffee fix.


My coffee making endeavors now are in the service of family, friends and hospitality... and vary slightly in preparation.


Most recently I made up some reusable coffee filters for my coffee cone from some muslin I had stored aside... by simply tracing my last paper filter on a fold, and stitching along the sides. I made a small loop hanger on one end, which allows for the filter to hang dry after rinsing.

I also blanket stitched along the top of the filters to give a more finished look. This was done before the actual side stitching...


There is also my cold brew coffee sock, the one shown here was a gift from a friend, whom shared her pattern with me. This coffee sock fits a gallon or half gallon jar just perfectly. It too was made from muslin, sock measurements are approximate as shown in the photo and the stitching is beautifully simple.



How I Make Cold Brew Coffee: you will need to play with the recipe to find your desired strength

~ Place about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of coarsely ground beans into your coffee sock, in the neck of your jar. Fill the half gallon jar with water, allowing the water to flow through the coffee sock. Draw up the strings to seal the sock and place the lid on the jar, with the sock string hanging out. Let rest for twelve to eighteen hours and remove the sock. Store cold brew in the fridge. Recycle the coffee grounds to the garden or compost. Rinse the coffee sock and hang dry.

I tweak the recipe for a quart size jar... it's very forgiving.

These days I drink my coffee two ways... in the morning it's hot and bullet proof in composition. In the afternoon, if I desire a cold frappe or iced coffee I reach for my cold brew... and on certain days I like my cold joe with a touch of vanilla syrup.

Simple Vanilla Syrup

½ cup coconut sugar
½ cup water
1 T vanilla extract

*Bring the water and sugar to a boil, simmer over low heat until thicker. Remove from heat and add your vanilla extract. Stir. Let cool and store in a glass jar in your fridge... use as needed.


This would make a great gift for some one who really appreciates coffee, a sock and filter set... special coffee beans and a pretty little jar of homemade vanilla syrup. Hhmmm... maybe I should try to design a recipe and tag set.

~ blessings!

Shared with: The Art of Homemaking Mondays #94

14 comments

  1. Love these ideas and coffee tips! I will be trying your simple vanilla syrup!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning! Just a little note to let you know that this post has been *featured* today on the Art of Home-Making Mondays! Thank you for joining us and have a beautiful week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there! I'm visiting from The Art of Home-Making Mondays. I really love my coffee so i enjoyed your post very much. How clever to make your own filters, and the syrup sounds fabulous. Thank you for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Magnoliasntea ~ Thank you for stopping by. A good cup of coffee is special indeed. Play around with your syrup recipe, to achieve your favorite thickness. The web also has many wonderful recipes... and ways to make a great cup of 'joe'. :)

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Double comment posted, deleted the duplicate. :)

      Delete
  5. Oh my word...I've just been looking for vanilla syrup, and then I came across your featured post at The Art of Home-Making Mondays! Woo hoo! Pinning...thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth, there are many great recipes out there to try... for this one, you could add a little more sugar for a thicker syrup. However, because I am 'watching' my sugar - this recipe is a little lighter and a little goes a long way. :) Enjoy and thank you for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  6. Would a muslin coffee filter work in a drip coffee maker or would it not allow the water to filter through fast enough? This is a great idea to cut down on waste. Fortunately, I am able to compost my grounds and filters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IzzysMom - I think the water would over flow, maybe not at first... but I would not risk it. :) It could create a huge over flow... hmm - but I wonder if we searched the web to see if someone has tried that option. And the results there of?

      Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. I'm visiting from the Art of Home Making Mondays blog hop! This is a fantastic post!
    Angie
    PS I also wanted to invite you to link up your amazing posts to my month long networking blog hop called the CLIMB: http://www.godsgrowinggarden.com/2016/03/march-2016-week2-climb-cohosts.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angie, and thank you also for the invite! I will head over and check it out. ~ Blessings!

      Delete
  8. stopped by from the Art of Home Making Mondays

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emme Rose Legacy - glad to have ya over!

      Delete