March 17, 2016

Uses For and About Black Drawing Salve

I have been making a Black Drawing Salve for over a year now, and I often still think it has a mind of its own. Having not quite reached the point of 100 percent consistency each and every time a batch is created. However that doesn't stop me from creating it, using it or even sharing it.

Truly, there are many wonderful recipes out there for you to choose from, I know... I spent months searching, reading and learning how to utilized this wonder in my own home apothecary arsenal. My struggle was that some recipes called for a long list of ingredients that I was either unfamiliar with at the time or that I did not have on hand. Others included cross over ingredients, which are not necessarily wrong, but I was really looking for something simple and effective. With as few ingredients as possible... 



And after much consideration ~ here are my chosen participants blended with bee's wax:

  • Activated Charcoal: detoxifier & drawing agent – for poisons, toxins and impurities. 
  • Castor & Olive Oils: full of skin benefits, a cleanser, skin softener & skin conditioning agent. 
  • Calendula: calendula officinalis – a wonderful herb, known for promoting skin cell repair and for it's antiseptic properties. Used for a variety of skin related concerns. 
  • Bentonite Clay: traditional detoxifier & drawing agent – toxins and impurities – acne, stings, boils. 
  • Lavender Essential Oil: lavender augustifolia – acne, allergies, burns, boils, bites, poison ivy & oak. 
  • Melaleuca Essential Oil: melaleuca alternifolia – historically used for a variety skin infections, cuts and wounds.



Now traditionally Black Drawing Salve is used for splinters, boils, insect bites, skin impurities and pimples or the like. But more recently I have added 'tick bites' to my list of what I use drawing salve for. You see my husband discovered a rather large tick a little too late, and in all honesty it was not removed with care. In pulling the nasty from his body, the head was left in unintentionally... and the area became inflamed and infected.


So I went for my Black Drawing Salve and after washing the area well, I applied the pea sized amount of the salve to the dried area. Covered this with a band-aid and repeated this process every 8 to 12 hours.

Knowing the body will do what it was designed to do, encase and expel foreign bodies to rid it self of an invader. And knowing that the tick head left in, could still release bacteria, that really could cause illness to my husband. I was diligent in application, and though it took some time, the tick bite healed completely and I was thankful for my Black Drawing Salve.

~ Blessings!

P.S. The measurements can vary but here is my most basic recipe: 6 Tablespoons of Calendula infused olive oil, 2 Tablespoons castor oil, 2 teaspoons bees wax, 3 teaspoons of activated charcoal and 3 teaspoons bentonite clay powder. Add roughly: 30 drops lavender and 15 drops tea tree essential oils. ***Add a drop or two of Vitamin E oil. {bee's wax - add a little more for a more firm salve if desired.} Play with it... put yourself into your creations. :)


*Please note: This information has not been evaluated by the FDA, and it is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent disease. Please see my Disclosure policy for more details.

No comments:

Post a Comment