Homegrown Healing: from seed to apothecary by Christine J. Dalziel

I must say that reading this book has been so inspiring to me, and I am very thankful to have had the opportunity to review it. Already being a fan of Christine's blog, where she shares some wonderful posts on all kinds of topics related to an herbal, do it yourself, farmy kind of life. I knew the book had to be good... and I was not disappointed.

After I read the first chapter, My Story, I was in tears, and deeply touched. I know there are many wonderful herbal, gardening style books out there... you should see my Amazon wish list. But few lay open their stories to that degree. Few share the why they do-what they do, beyond personal interest or faith mission. Because of her courage to do that I liked it even more.

Christine does a great job sharing with you the basics, in a clear, knowledgeable way. Even if you are not interested in learning how to grow and use herbs, I still think you would glean something of value from this book. No matter the skill level.


Some of My Favorite Topics Were: as if I could choose

~ My Soil was Abused – bioremediation and phytoremediation
~ Five Herbs to Help Build Healthy Soil
~ Medicinal Herbs to Grow in your Garden
~ Increasing Herbal Potency – readers this is valuable
~ Thirty Herbs for Beginners to Grow and Use
~ Herbal Medicine Making Cheat Sheet & The Nutritional Value of Weeds Chart!
~ And the multiple How To Make and Recipes

As I mentioned before, reading this book has inspired me... greatly. And I like it when a book does that! This past week, I spent time journaling my herbal garden dreams, answering some of the questions Christine asks in her book on its paper. Drawing out my herb garden plans and creating a first list of my herbal must haves... we also spent time wildcrafting local botanicals.

Here are some herbals we used and identified:




I truly enjoyed Homegrown Healing: from seed to apothecary so much, that I would like to purchase the hard copy. Honestly, I am inclined to think I would be well equipped to purchase all of Christine's books. 

Did you know she is working on another book? Oh I can hardly wait!

~ Blessings!

* In full disclosure I received this book in return for my full and honest review, and I am so thankful I did! I would highly recommend it to every advanced or beginning herbalist and gardener alike. Thank you, Christine, for sharing yourself, your story and your love of herbalism with us... we are blessed by it.

No comments