Matcha Affogato :: two ways

Oh green, beautiful green, how tasty you can be. Matcha that is...

Last week I had the privilege of making my family a little treat called an 'affogato'. My husband and daughter both delight in Matcha, or anything Green Tea tasting.  Oh green, beautiful green, how tasty can you be with vanilla ice cream...

"The word affogato means 'drowned' or 'smothered' in Italian, which neatly sums up the appearance of this dessert-come-drink, as the ice cream slowly sinks beneath a blanket of espresso and its own melted mass..." ~ Tristan Stephenson, The Curious Barista's Guide to Coffee 

Matcha Affogato - # 1

Simply warm sugar free vanilla almond milk, and add the matcha powder, stir. Then pour your warm green over the vanilla ice cream and enjoy...



Matcha Affogato - #2

2 teaspoons matcha powder * I used three and afterwards thought maybe I should have used less.
1/4 cup cream
1/2 cup almond milk
2 teaspoons gentle sweet
1/4 teaspoon glucomannan {optional}
1 scoop vanilla protein powder

Warm the milk and cream, add remaining ingredients and whiz with a stick blender. This will thicken slightly, if you add glucomannan. Then pour over vanilla halo top ice cream... now, I just created this off the top of my head, so please tweak it as needed. Hind sight, I would leave out the cream and just use the remaining ingredients.

The family liked it, which is the important part... right?

~ Blessings!

P.S. dear Tristan, we now have a coffee bean grinder... green tea and espresso smoothies for lunch!

No comments