May 8, 2017

Tell Me of Basil :: Notebook Pages/Resources for a Unit Study

I have to tell you, homeschooling my daughter was something I absolutely loved... confession: I really miss it. Being a former Recreation Director by profession, hands on learning was a no-thinker for me. If it involved doing something, I was all about it and note-booking added a lovely element to our learning. These note book pages, some of which I still have today, helped document precious life moments...

The ever changing - learning at home and my warm fuzzy for the note booking method, inspired me to create these computer generated and hand drawn note book pages. This is the first set in our Tell Me of : Herbal Narratives & Projects Children Series, a project I have been thinking about for some time.

Because everyone learns and teaches differently, these pages are simple and completely created by human hands. Human hands {mine} using minimal computer assistance and human hands {again mine} attempting to illustrate botanicals for children to color or trace. Please be kind. I am not an artist by profession, that would be my mama, and this is a learning experience for me too... but if you can use them, feel free.



The pages above are before I finished them in google.doc.s - but you get the idea. :)

My daughter was but "knee high to a grass hopper" when she could identify and say the botanical names of many herbs in our garden. I share this because I believe that children will learn what they are immersed in and it is never too early to start with proper herbal identification. Around here, we have a rule regarding foraging and herbs... if you can not properly identify it, you can not use it on your own.

Enough of me... below you will find the link to the pages I created and some resources for learning all about basil. This list is not long, as it's only meant to spark interest... please enjoy.
 
Note-booking Pages: - HERE - this was the first time I have done something like this, and I hope to grow with this endeavor. My hand draw's will need improvement... to everything a season.

Recipes to Try:

~ Basil Salt from The Rising Spoon - I really want to make this!
~ Basil Pesto - serve over pasta or fresh homemade bread
~ Basil Herb Oil - Preserving Your Harvest

Resources to Use:

~ Basil Mini Profile - Vintage Remedies
~ How to Grow Fresh Basil - Herbal Academy
~ Medicinal Herbs - A Beginner's Guide by Rosemary Gladstar
~ Basil; Or, Honesty and Industry - A Lamplighter Book
~ All About Basil - Botanical Interests
~ Basil: An Herb Lover's Guide by Thomas DeBaggio
~ Basil: Herbal Embroidery Block & Template - By the Eastern Gate

* Please use the Scriptures as your guide regarding resources...







Shared With: The Art of Home-Making Mondays # 156
and The Art of Home-Making Mondays #164

No comments:

Post a Comment